The Firefighter Program is a 492-hour course. This program meets the requirements for certification as a Firefighter set forth by the Division of State Fire Marshal-Bureau of Fire Standards & Training. Included in the Firefighter program is the practical portion of the State Firefighter Certification Examination. This challenging program combines instruction (ladder usage, hose layout, hazardous materials, extrication and breathing apparatus) and field related activities..
The Firefighter Program is offered as both full-time and part-time classes. The full-time day schedule is Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and takes approximately 3 1/2 months to complete. The part-time night schedule is Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights from 5:00 p.m. to 10:30 pm, and Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and takes approximately 6 months to complete.
The course registration fee is $3199 (day class) and $3199 (night class) for Florida residents. Course registration fees are slightly higher for out-of-state students. In order to qualify for Florida resident tuition, legal residence must be dated, issued or filed 12 months before the first day of classes in the term. In addition to the registration fee, a student will be required to purchase books, uniforms and supplies. Students must provide their own bunker gear, boots, hood, helmet and gloves.
All applicants applying for the Firefighter program must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have earned a standard high school diploma from a regionally accredited institution (or equivalency) Please note: Students that have earned a high school diploma from outside the US must have their diploma evaluated–a list of the accepted foreign transcript evaluation agencies is available at the Broward Fire Academy front office.
- take and pass the TABE (if applicable)
- must have a current BLS Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) card
- must have completed Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)-ATD
- must have a current BFA Physical Ability Test on file.
*FEES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE