- 18 years of age
- High school diploma from a regionally accredited institution or GED
- TABE test (valid for 2 years) or college degree from a regionally accredited institution-only needed if you don’t possess a high school diploma from a Florida public high school from 2007 and on. You will be exempt if you possess a State License for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)-ATD or Paramedic
- Broward Fire Academy Entrance Ability Test (valid for 6 months)
- CPR card (BLS-HCP Adult and Child AED CPR card)
- EMT certification and/or Paramedic certification
Applications are accepted after successfully completing the Entrance Ability Test. Registration for classes takes place approximately 5 to 6 weeks prior to the start date of that class. Once an application is complete, it will be signed off and time stamped by the registrar. Applicants are registered for the class on a first come, first serve basis that goes according to the date of completion of their application.
Applications will not be time stamped until all documents required in the application package are complete including TABE test (if applicable), written application, high school diploma, Entrance Ability Test (PAT), CPR, Emergency Medical Technican (EMT)-ATD course completion certificate and proof of health insurance. Copies of 2 forms of proof of residency.
Firefighter registration application packets are only available at the Academy.