BROWARD FIRE ACADEMY DRESS CODE
Please be advised that the Broward Fire Academy has a dress code for conducting Academy business such as meeting with Advisors and Instructors and for attending Academy classes.
No open toes, sandals, slippers or high heels
No tights, yoga pants, sweatpants or pajama bottoms
*Shirt with sleeves
No tank tops, tube tops or halter tops
Shirts should be tucked in
Any shirt which has a logo or lettering which is deemed as inappropriate by Academy staff will need to be changed
*No hats, caps, visors, knit caps or “skullies”
Orientation and TABE Testing
All prospective students must make an appointment to take the placement test (TABE) prior to their testing date. Please bring picture identification and $15.00* cash to the McFatter Technical College, Office of Admissions** building when registering for the test. Students can register for this test Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.. On the day you are testing, please bring your picture identification, registration form, and receipt. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 10.0 (level “A”) in all three areas of the TABE test (Reading, Mathematics and Language). TABE results are valid for two years from the date of testing. In order to exempt the TABE, students must have earned a college degree from a regionally accredited institution and must present the original college diploma to Daniel Larsen prior to registering for the EMT or Firefighter I & II Program or had entered a Broward County Public High School in 2003-2004 and present your diploma to us. If you graduated from a high school out of Broward County, you must show us a transcript with those entrance dates.
Orientation and TABE Testing Schedule
- Tuesday 8:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday 8:00 a.m.
Please contact Daniel Larsen, Fire Academy Program Advisor by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org approximately 24 – 48 hours after testing to schedule an appointment to review your test scores. Test scores will NOT be given over the telephone.
**Registration for the Orientation and TABE Testing is located at:
McFatter Technical College, Office of Admissions
6500 Nova Drive
Davie, FL 33317
TABE testing scores will also be accepted from:
Sheridan Technical College, 5400 W. Sheridan St., Hollywood, FL 33021, phone: 754.321.5400 or Atlantic Technical College, 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, FL 33063, phone: 754.321.5100.
*Fees subject to change without notice.
754.321.5804 or 754.321.5738
All students seeking financial assistance at McFatter Technical College must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The recommended way to complete the FAFSA is on the web.
- Apply for PIN # at www.pin.ed.gov. You will receive a four-digit PIN by either email or by regular mail.
- Collect the necessary financial documents needed to complete the FAFSA application: IRS federal income tax returns for you, your spouse or parent (s).
- Complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA Application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The federal school code is 030036.
- Be sure to click “Run Final Check”.
- Click “Submit FAFSA Now”. Always print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
- The calculated FAFSA will be available for review in approximately three (3) business days.
- If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, you are not eligible for financial aid.
Please bring the following documentation with you when you visit the Office of Financial Services at McFatter Technical College:
- Independent Students: A signed 2016 Federal IRS Tax Transcript is required for those who are single or married at the time of completing the FAFSA application. You will need the IRS form 4506-T which can be found on www.irs.gov or by calling 1.800.829.1040 or 1.800.908.9946.
- Dependent Students: A signed 2016 Federal IRS Tax Transcript is required, as well as a parent(s)’ tax transcript. A dependent student that has not filed a 2016 IRS Tax Return, but has earned wages, will need to present an IRS Tax Transcript which shows the non-filing status and a Summary of Wages which shows the amount of income earned.
- Non-Tax Filers: Call the IRS Office at 1.800.829.1040 and request a free copy of a tax transcript and summary of wages to prove your non-filing status.
- High School Diploma Requirements: If your diploma is from out of state, or the State of Florida, or you have graduated from a Broward County High School over five years ago, be prepared to show a copy of your high school diploma and provide an official sealed transcript. If you have graduated from a Broward County High School within the last five years, only your high school diploma is necessary. A student who has earned a GED, needs to present a certified copy and a copy of the test scores.