How to get started
Schedule to take the CASAS test at McFatter Technical College, registration cost is $15.00 and registration hours are Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.. Registration and TABE testing location: McFatter Technical College is located at 6500 Nova Drive, Davie Florida 33317. (Students who have earned a high school diploma from a Florida public high school from 2007 and on or a college diploma from a regionally accredited institution are exempt from the TABE. Possession of an EMT or Paramedic State License will exempt you as well.
- Take the CASAS test (if applicable)
- Schedule an appointment with Daniel Larsen, Fire Academy Program Advisor, by emailing him at email@example.com approximately 24-48 hours after testing
- Applications are accepted after successfully completing the Entrance Ability Test. Registration for classes takes place approximately 5 to 6 weeks prior to the start date of that class. Once an application is complete, it will be signed off and time stamped by the registrar. Applicants are registered for class on a first come, first serve basis that goes according to the date of completion of their application. This is the process for applying for the Fire Fighter class-Application packets will not be time stamped until all documents are completed, including TABE test (if applicable), written application, high school diploma, CPR card, EMT or Paramedic certificate, BFA entrance ability test score and health insurance and copies of 2 forms of residency. THIS INFORMATION IS ONLY FOR THE FIRE CLASS.
*Health insurance—if you do not have health insurance at this time, we will discuss some options when we meet. One option being www.schoolinsuranceofflorida.com
All prospective EMT students must make an appointment to take the placement test (CASAS) prior to their testing date. Please bring picture identification and $15.00* cash to the McFatter Technical College, Office of Admissions** building when registering for the test. Students can register for this test Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.. On the day you are testing, please bring your picture identification, registration form, and receipt. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 10.0 (level “A”) in all three areas of the CASAS test (Reading, Mathematics and Language). Test results are valid for 6 months from the date of testing. In order to exempt the CASAS, students must have earned a college degree from a regionally accredited institution and must present the original college diploma to Daniel Larsen prior to registering for EMT Program or had entered a Broward County Public High School in 2003-2004 and present your diploma to us. If you graduated from a high school out of Broward County, you must show us a transcript with those entrance dates.
CASAS Testing Schedule
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9am or 11am
- Tuesday 11am
- Friday 9am
- Monday and Wednesday 4pm
Please contact Daniel Larsen, Fire Academy Program Advisor by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org approximately 24 – 48 hours after testing to schedule an appointment to review your test scores. Test scores will NOT be given over the telephone.
**Registration for the CASAS Testing is located at:
McFatter Technical College, Office of Admissions
6500 Nova Drive
Davie, FL 33317
CASAS testing scores will also be accepted from:
Sheridan Technical College, 5400 W. Sheridan St., Hollywood, FL 33021, phone: 754.321.5400 or Atlantic Technical College, 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, FL 33063, phone: 754.321.5100.
*Fees subject to change without notice.
All students seeking financial assistance at McFatter Technical College must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The recommended way to complete the FAFSA is on the web.
- Complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA Application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The federal school code is 030036. If you do have an FSA ID or password, apply for FSA ID and password.
- Collect the necessary financial documents needed to complete the FAFSA application: IRS federal income tax returns for you, your spouse or parent (s).
- Click “Submit FAFSA Now”. Always print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
- The calculated FAFSA will be available for review in approximately three (3) business days.
- If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, you are not eligible for financial aid.
Please bring the following documentation with you when you visit the Office of Financial Services at McFatter Technical College:
- Independent Students: A signed 2020 Federal IRS Tax Transcript is required for those who are single or married at the time of completing the FAFSA application. You will need the IRS form 4506-T which can be found on www.irs.gov or by calling 1.800.829.1040 or 1.800.908.9946.
- Dependent Students: A signed 2020 Federal IRS Tax Transcript is required, as well as a parent(s)’ tax transcript. A dependent student that has not filed a 2016 IRS Tax Return, but has earned wages, will need to present an IRS Tax Transcript which shows the non-filing status and a Summary of Wages which shows the amount of income earned.
- Non-Tax Filers: Call the IRS Office at 1.800.829.1040 and request a free copy of a tax transcript and summary of wages to prove your non-filing status.
- High School Diploma Requirements: If your diploma is from out of state, or the State of Florida, or you have graduated from a Broward County High School over five years ago, be prepared to show a copy of your high school diploma and provide an official sealed transcript. If you have graduated from a Broward County High School within the last five years, only your high school diploma is necessary. A student who has earned a GED, needs to present a certified copy and a copy of the test scores.